My skin loves the summertime but hates winter. During the winter its itchy and sometimes red, and always looks dry and ashy. So here’s what I do to fight dry skin and other wintertime body issues:
- Drink lots of water. This works from the inside out and, yes, it does help! Also, eat foods rich in Omega-3s, which help your body replace natural skin oils.
- Moisturize daily. I apply olive oil (EVOO) nightly before bed or after a shower when pores are open. For some people olive oil may be too heavy. Almond and jojoba oil are popular alternatives.
- Use a fragrance/irritant-free soap. I highly recommend Dr. Bronner’s organic castile soaps.
- Wear gloves when going outside or washing dishes, and apply lotion to your hands frequently.
- Use lip balm daily. Try Dr. Bronner’s organic lip or body balm.
- For your hair, use a leave-in conditioner at least once a wee, and stop washing your hair everyday. I wash my hair every other day, and day #2 is usually an up-do or ponytail. For guys with buzzed or short hair, I would try just rinsing your scalp and hair under warm water daily, and skip the shampoo.
- Run a humidifier in your bedroom, if possible. Mariah Carey swears by this trick to protect her voice.
What tricks have you found work for you?